You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Fresh Herbs’ tag.
I had a request for a super easy, minimal ingredient dinner. This is for you Pat!
Aside from salt, pepper, olive oil and vinegar…these are staples most people have in their kitchen…this is super easy and yummy…AND only 5 ingredients to buy at the store.
1. Whole wheat penne pasta
2. Cherry tomatoes
4. Fresh mozzarella
5. Grated parmesan cheese
Cook whole wheat penne pasta in a pot of salted boiling water. Drain. When pasta is still warm toss with halved cherry tomatoes, torn basil, bite size pieces of fresh mozzarella, olive oil, salt, pepper and vinegar (red wine or balsamic), top with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Lobster was on sale for half price at the supermarket….$4.99 / lb — A Steal! Here’s my recipe for what turned out to be delicious lobster rolls. Serves 2. ENJOY!
2 – 1 1/2 lb. lobsters
2 tbsps mayo
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 ribs celery chopped small
1/4 cup cucumber, seeds removed, chopped small
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
sprinkle of dried dill (or fresh if you have)
squeeze of lemon
splash of red wine vinegar
salt / pepper
hot dog rolls
For the lobsters: Bring 2 inches of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add the 2 lobsters, cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 – 22 minutes. Let cool. Crack and remove meat. Cut into chunks.
Mix together the mayo, mustard, lemon, tarragon, dill, vinegar and salt / pepper. Add in lobster, celery and cucumber. Mix to combine.
Melt butter in a pan. Toast up hot dog rolls on the inside and outside. Spoon lobster salad into toasted rolls. Serve with a simple salad and kettle cooked chips.
You will notice I use a lot of fresh herbs in my recipes. I think it adds a great freshness and flavor that dried herbs can’t replicate. Thanks to a tip I learned from Rachael Ray, you can keep herbs fresh all week long!
When you bring your herbs home from the store, wash and dry them very well. Wrap the bunch in a dry paper towel and store in a ziplock baggie. Label the outside so you can easily locate it in the fridge.
You will be amazed how long herbs stay fresh and green this way!
Here are some great ways to use fresh herbs:
- Add chopped basil and flat leaf parsley to a green salad for added flavor
- Mix cilantro into chili or Mexican dishes for freshness
- In a mini chopper mix tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, lime, salt and cilantro for a quick, healthy and delicious salsa
- Mix fresh tarragon with shrimp salad (chopped shrimp, celery, mayo, salt and pepper)…yummm!
- Fresh thyme tastes great with chicken
- Rosemary works great with red meat
- Make a quick side dish of sliced tomato, cucumber, red onion, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt / pepper and cilantro…bright and light!