You will notice I use a lot of fresh herbs in my recipes. I think it adds a great freshness and flavor that dried herbs can’t replicate. Thanks to a tip I learned from Rachael Ray, you can keep herbs fresh all week long!
When you bring your herbs home from the store, wash and dry them very well. Wrap the bunch in a dry paper towel and store in a ziplock baggie. Label the outside so you can easily locate it in the fridge.
You will be amazed how long herbs stay fresh and green this way!
Here are some great ways to use fresh herbs:
- Add chopped basil and flat leaf parsley to a green salad for added flavor
- Mix cilantro into chili or Mexican dishes for freshness
- In a mini chopper mix tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, lime, salt and cilantro for a quick, healthy and delicious salsa
- Mix fresh tarragon with shrimp salad (chopped shrimp, celery, mayo, salt and pepper)…yummm!
- Fresh thyme tastes great with chicken
- Rosemary works great with red meat
- Make a quick side dish of sliced tomato, cucumber, red onion, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt / pepper and cilantro…bright and light!